ThePolkaDotApron.freeforums.org

We want to talk about healthy, nutrient-dense foods (and others, too, of course), news and information items (current and otherwise), the BROKEN allopathic medical system and the need for alternative medicine, weather, farming - hey, you name it!
It is currently June 29th, 2017, 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to thepolkadotapron

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: What started the "leave cookies for Santa" tradition?
PostPosted: December 26th, 2015, 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

This is a great little fun article.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2012/12/24/167971635/a-moveable-feast-what-are-you-leaving-for-santa

We used to have a catering service here called Moveable Feast. I don't know why they closed, but it's interesting to see that in print again!

Also, I remember my gramma (the swedish one) made her gingerbread cookies, cakes & Lassy breads (molasses) with black pepper from the Watkins man! She also got her cinnamon from him. (I still buy their pepper, cinnamon and vanilla when I can find it). Maybe back then they carried other spices too, because a lot of farm wives got most of their stuff (from pots and pans to food) from door-to-door salesman and tinkers (who sold stuff they had fixed for re-sale).

** I forgot to post this link to go with the other link above. http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/12/22/459382720/how-did-santa-get-hooked-on-cookies-and-milk The way these things are placed on The Salt site, it's hard to know exactly what's what. I read over both of those links and cannot find the part about the gingerbread made with pepper, which is why I made that comment above. It must seem strange to people that I would talk about that when it's not mentioned! But it was mentioned in one of the articles at their site talking about Santa and cookies. Really, it was! I just can't locate it. Arg.

**Ah, yes, it is in the article at the second link. Talks about gingerbread made with honey and pepper. Geez, you can tell it's too early in the morning for my brain to function properly . . . :roll: :roll: You'll never know how I hate to admit that . . . :? 8-)

Post subject: Re: What started the "leave cookies for Santa" tradition?
PostPosted: December 28th, 2015, 8:54 am 

"What started the "leave cookies for Santa" tradition"

Seems there are several theories about how it started. Plus, different countries do different things. When we were in Germany, the kids left their shoes outside the front door and on Christmas morning, they were cleaned and treats were in them. I suspected one of my neighbors did it, even though they never admitted to it! A German St Nicklous came door to door during Dec and talked to the kids...This guy was German and didn't speak english and my kids chattered like magpies in broken German and english. Of course he looked nothing like the American santa. We would take the train to the Kriskinder market in downtown Munich, it was like a fantasy land. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc1aLYHPtGY I love the wooden ornaments.

When the kids were little, he hung cookies and popcorn strings on the tree and those paper chains. A lot was home made.