ThePolkaDotApron.freeforums.org

We want to talk about healthy, nutrient-dense foods (and others, too, of course), news and information items (current and otherwise), the BROKEN allopathic medical system and the need for alternative medicine, weather, farming - hey, you name it!
It is currently June 27th, 2017, 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to thepolkadotapron

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Citrus Southernwood
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2016, 9:55 am 
Site Admin

Since the hail blasted away at all the gardens in this area several times over the summer, I have no garden clean-up tips or new suggestions for you. But I hafta tell you, I trimmed my overgrown, straggly looking southernwood over the weekend and I do mean trimmed - - right down to the ground, almost. I left them about 7 inches tall and can only hope that next year they come back better than they were this year. They were very bushy on top but nothing if not twiggy underneath - they looked healthy but straggly. So I either want them to look decent or dead and I think they'll make that decision next spring. But they did smell terrific all summer (even if you just brush up against them) and the green tops of the branches taste great immersed in almost anything - coffee, tea and even hot water (I'm pretty sure that would qualify as a tonic of some sort). :mrgreen:

If anyone has experience with Citrus Southernwood, please post suggestions/comments here. I'll have to keep posting here next spring to let you know if they're thriving or dead - ha!

Post subject: Re: Citrus Southernwood
PostPosted: March 1st, 2017, 11:15 am 
Site Admin

My lilacs and citrus southernwood are both starting to leaf out. It's tooooooo soon. But already the southernwood is looking woody instead of bushing out nicely. I think I may end up pulling it up and either replanting it somewhere else in the yard or just ditching it. The two smaller plants are ugly but they smell good and so far aren't taking over the yard, but the one by the front step is just humungous and ugly. Not what I bargained for when I bought it. Hmmmpf.