ThePolkaDotApron.freeforums.org

We want to talk about healthy, nutrient-dense foods (and others, too, of course), news and information items (current and otherwise), the BROKEN allopathic medical system and the need for alternative medicine, weather, farming - hey, you name it!
It is currently May 24th, 2017, 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to thepolkadotapron

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Question on smoothies
PostPosted: February 16th, 2017, 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Sylvia, I know you said you make smoothies. I'm not a fan of smoothies - I literally have to choke them down no matter what's in them.

Last year I ordered a Nutri-Bullet because after watching the TTAC series I decided I wanted to try using my Jack LaLanne Juicer again, and a Nutri-Bullet to possibly make smoothies and try to get back into them.

My question is how on earth do you make smoothies or juices cheaply??

My gosh, I've been using frozen fruits and a little yogurt (mostly homemade but sometimes I have to buy the organic stuff) as my basic ingredients for smoothies (occasionally a few veggies but I'm not big on liquified veggies - ewww) but this is so expensive. A bag of frozen organic mixed berries was over $8, a small package of frozen organic strawberries was well over $5, a medium sized bag of frozen black cherries was $7. Well, one small smoothie each day is beginning to get more and more expensive all the time. I figure one small smoothie (about 6 oz or so) is costing me about $10 per day by the time I mix a few fruits, maybe a veggie, and some other goodies (hemp seeds, chia seeds, whatever).

Ditto for just plain juicing - it's gotten terribly expensive to use organic produce and I figure if I'm not using organic stuff I might as well not bother.

Do you have any secrets for how to cut corners?

Post subject: Re: Question on smoothies
PostPosted: February 17th, 2017, 9:17 am 

I buy the fresh fruits in season and hopefully on sale and freeze them. Right now, I have maybe 3-4 cups of frozen blueberries left. I haven't been drinking the smoothies much because I am low on fruit and am trying to stretch it out.

I add a banana to the smoothie, it acts as a filler and thickens the smoothie like a milk shake. I don't like liquid veggies...gross.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2017, 9:36 am 
Site Admin

I usually add about half a banana (frozen) to my smoothies in place of ice. I guess I could add more banana (unfrozen) and see what happens. Yesterday I made a mixed berry (strawberry, raspberry, blackberry), banana, avocado, yogurt with hemp seeds and horsefeed. It was delicious but I still had to choke it down and by the last swallow I wasn't sure I wanted to finish it! It was only about 6 oz but it felt like I swallowed the ocean.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2017, 1:33 pm 

I don't put ice in my smoothies. Just fruits, juice or milk and yogurt.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2017, 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

I use ice or frozen bananas in place of the juice. Got started doing that on Fat Flush because juice usually has too much sugar or too many carbs or whatever the reason was for why we weren't supposed to use it on FF, I can't remember exactly - that was a loooong time ago. I do sometimes use Knudsen's just cranberry or the pomegranate if I can afford it, but there again that stuff is priced through the roof.

I wish I had the counter space to leave my juicer out all the time, but I just don't. My kitchen is the size of a postage stamp. I sometimes make juice ahead of time and freeze it in small containers, but I haven't done that for a long time now. Fruit is just too damned expensive so we just buy what we're gonna eat within a few days. The rest I buy frozen. Most juices, even homemade, lose something in the translation. :?