ThePolkaDotApron.freeforums.org

We want to talk about healthy, nutrient-dense foods (and others, too, of course), news and information items (current and otherwise), the BROKEN allopathic medical system and the need for alternative medicine, weather, farming - hey, you name it!
It is currently June 24th, 2017, 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to thepolkadotapron

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Tips for container gardening
PostPosted: August 5th, 2016, 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

Basic, but good information.

Part 1: http://www.realfarmacy.com/container-garden-tips/

Part 2: http://www.realfarmacy.com/container-garden-tips2/

**Actually, Part 2 has some of the best information, especially for newbies to container gardening.

Post subject: Re: Tips for container gardening
PostPosted: August 5th, 2016, 6:20 pm 

I have containers here since the soil is heavy clay with huge rocks. The temperatures have been around 100 for weeks and the high humidity makes it unbearable. It's like walking into a sauna. I must have sweated all toxins out of my body!

I lost my summer squash to the borer worm. Never had that at dads. Also my cucumbers are sick from the powdery mildew (or whatever its called). It's too hot for the tomatoes to produce much at all and the winds have whipped the crap out of my tomatoes and asparagus.

Next year I have to figure out a stronger support for the tomatoes. Everything started out so well and then went to hell.

PostPosted: August 5th, 2016, 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

Kinda sounds like my situation - everything went to hell! Either from the non-stop winds in June and now the heat of July-Aug, or another critter, my DH! So I just can't seem to win for the past few years, whether the garden is in the ground or in pots. My tomatoes do well with those long green stakes (pointed on one end - I got them at the hardware store last spring) and I used that velcro-type stuff that you loosely wrap around the plant and the stake. But the wind has definitely done a number on them, all right. They look wilted and dried out even though they're watered and the soil is good and damp. It's a puzzle. I feed them with organic tomato food and there are a bunch of them on the vines, but they don't seem to be getting any bigger very fast, and nowhere near red yet. I don't see signs of any type of blight or bugs. No clue.

PostPosted: August 6th, 2016, 6:16 am 

If the temperatures stay at or around 95ish or above, the plant sorta goes dormant, it slows down everything to stay alive. So production will be low. The tomato worms have been feasting as have the squash bugs and borer worms on my butternut squash. Was cleaning up my cucumbers and they are shot. Between the powdery mildew and the heat, they have turned bitter, so I'll be ripping them up. My grape vine has died as had my cherry tree and fig tree, bot were baby trees. The young peach tree had 5 or so peaches earlier but they either fell off or were taken by a critter while still small green and hard.

I even had a young willow tree that died. :( And those are suppose to be hard to kill.

PostPosted: August 6th, 2016, 9:55 am 
Site Admin

I think a lot of these problems we're experiencing with growing things are a combo of the weather conditions (not global warming hysteria, but simply the cycle nature is taking this year) and the man-made chemical being sprayed all over creation. And they ARE spraying junk. "They" can deny it if they want to but I'm not blind or deaf - we can hear the planes and see the crap once it hits the stuff on the ground (like our lawn chairs, etc). Talk about powdery mildew-like crap! It's way worse than even putting up with pine pollen in the spring because pine pollen is only a problem for about 10 days or so and then it's a done deal. Besides, according to "officals" pine pollen is not an allergen. I've never been bothered with it, but for the past two years my sinuses have taken a beating during the summer months, which is very very strange and unusal.

A person hates to put all the time and money into trying to grow stuff and then have our distorted "agencies" make trash out of our efforts. But, of course, they are denying that this is happening and are trying to blame global warming/climate change. It's a lie; one of the biggest ever foisted on the american public. Don't believe it for a minute. In fact, don't believe it any more than you now believe the words directly from obozo's mouth where he said if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor. Uh-huh, right. We know how well that turned out and this is the same vein of lies.