ThePolkaDotApron.freeforums.org

We want to talk about healthy, nutrient-dense foods (and others, too, of course), news and information items (current and otherwise), the BROKEN allopathic medical system and the need for alternative medicine, weather, farming - hey, you name it!
It is currently May 24th, 2017, 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to thepolkadotapron

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Bleach
PostPosted: June 7th, 2016, 11:45 am 
Site Admin

Finally, finally, finally I've found someone else who isn't afraid to use bleach. The reasons she gives are almost identical to the reasons I love to use it, as well.

http://www.thekitchn.com/in-defense-of-bleach-in-the-kitchen-231939

Another couple of uses she didn't mention: 1) cleaning dog dishes in bleach water & dish soap, and then rinsing and soaping one more time (without the bleach). If it's summertime I set them out in the sun for a while before refilling them for Fido! 2) I use it in the whirlpool tub to keep the jets clean. I also use a small brush (it looks kinda like a mini toilet brush and is sorta flat-bristled) with ajax first (made into a paste with a bit of water) to clean the water discoloration from the jet spouts, and then I fill the tub just above the jets with water from the tap and add about 4 cups of bleach. I turn on the jets and let them run for about 5 minutes, then off, drain the tub, push the jet-start button a couple of time to push out any excess water left in them, then fill the tub once more with clean water just to the jet-line and run for another five minutes. Drain the tub and push the jet-start button a few times to get that on-off, on-off thing going and presto, you're done and have a beautifully clean and cleansed tub that smells terrific.

** She mentioned something in the article about dish soap and vinegar that she uses for something - let me tell you that is the mixture I use to kill weeds between the sidewalk cracks and I put a line of it along the front steps on the sidewalk every other day during ant & wasp season. It really helps deter them. Just a COUPLE of drops of dish soap to the straight white distilled cheapass vinegar. I use a squirt-top bottle (like the one that dish soap comes in, in fact) rather than trying to spray it. For stubborn weeds like dandelions and milkweed (with big root systems) you'll need to really squirt the stuff on there quite heavily. In the sidewalk cracks, just a line from one end to the other works well. I apply it in the early morning hours and then re apply the next morning. That usually kills the weeds for at least a month unless we have lots of rain that washes it away. With just a small amount of rainfall, you may not have to re-apply at all.

ALSO: Do not mix bleach with vinegar in the same container, and if you use them on the same project (like killing weeds) leave some time between the application of the two items. They don't mix well . . . :geek: In fact, don't mix bleach with anything else and you'll be good to go. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Bleach
PostPosted: June 7th, 2016, 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

A little education on bleach to correspond with the above post.

Not all bleaches are the same. I don't know why Clorox went from being 5.25%-6% sodium hypoclorite to almost 8.25% but they did. It was fine at 5.25%. I guess they can charge more now, huh?

Even though this link is directed at a perspective of using the stuff in a swimmin' pool, that's not the ONLY thing bleach is used for. :roll: But this is a good primer on the different types available. Some have to be purchased through a chemical store. I think sodium hypo is the only one available at grocery stores, etc.

http://www.watersafetymagazine.com/chlorine-by-any-other-name-is-not-the-same/