ThePolkaDotApron.freeforums.org

We want to talk about healthy, nutrient-dense foods (and others, too, of course), news and information items (current and otherwise), the BROKEN allopathic medical system and the need for alternative medicine, weather, farming - hey, you name it!
It is currently June 27th, 2017, 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to thepolkadotapron

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Food idea: DIY french fries (frozen or not)
PostPosted: March 10th, 2017, 11:06 am 
Site Admin

I've done this before and it works; I still prefer pan-fried burgers but we prefer baked fries. Are you confused yet?!

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-sheet-pan-burgers-and-fries-242023

We do, however, like to bake our pizza burgers on a sheet pan. I just add crushed anise seed or fennel seed to the burger, along with some of our favorite Italian seasonings (oregano, basil, thyme, and some crushed rosemary), some dry bread crumbs or cracker crumbs, dried onion flakes, sea salt & cracked black pepper. When they are done baking (we like ours really, really browned) I put a slice of mozzarella cheese on top and some pizza sauce. If I'm out of homemade pizza sauce, I use the Muir Glen organic pizza sauce and it's great. The whole thing is a nice little change from regular burgers. You can use a bun - or not. If we use buns, I put a little butter on them, slap them onto the sheet pan in a hot oven for about 5-7 min. Just long enough to kind of brown them.

I have a french fry cutter that used to belong to my MIL. It's a wonderful gadget except that it makes the potato sticks too wide and it takes forever to fry them, so I've been baking my fries for years. I initially oil the sheet pan (with whatever - coconut oil or butter or a combo of the two) but then a little later on in the baking process, I add a little butter (in pats) over the top of the potatoes as they bake, and THEN add some salt and pepper.

If I make fries to freeze, I've never blanched them but I suppose if you want to go to the bother, it might be worth the effort. But I've never had a problem baking the fries I don't blanch, so it's up to you.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-freeze-your-own-french-fries-235216